Saturday, May 30, 2015

Star Wars Night / The Hardest Catch









Today is Star Wars Day, which brought my wife and I  to the ballpark for some people watching.  Not owning anything of true Star Wars vintage, I figured the Huntsville Stars Hat would be the closest thing to the theme.

In the early to mid 2000s, as the Brewers were struggling, I started to collect hats of the Brewers Minor League Affiliates.  The Huntsville Stars Hat was particularly hard to get.  First of all, I don't often find myself in Huntsville, Alabama. Secondly, their website did not allow online orders.  Instead it offered the phone number and email address of a lady named Babs Rodgers.  Babs was my nemesis as far as getting this hat. She was incredibally difficult to get a hold of.  There were many return emails and voicemail messages where I was told in a thick southern drawl "we ain't got that"  as I requested different hats (yes even the emails felt like they had a southern drawl!).  I couldn't  understand why she wouldn't sell me a hat, which was presumably her job .  Finally I got her on the phone and had to flat out ask her "what hats do you have?" I was dismissed by Babs and told to call back after the season.  This process started with my first inquiry in early June.  I finally called Babs back again after the season ended in September and was told that she was holding the hats for the players and now that the season was done she could finally sell me one.  Two weeks after this call a box came to my apartment with this, the official on field Stars hat and a White official batting practice had.  Also included were 5 Huntsville Stars schedules from the season past (what a bonus!).  This was officially the hardest hat to get to date, though there are others I am still searching for.

No comments:

Post a Comment